Learning More About an LMS
Oftentimes we hear from people that are searching for an ideal and effective employee training solution, yet they have questions when it comes to exploring their options, for example, one we often hear is “what is LMS.”
What is LMS?
To begin with, LMS stands for Learning Management System. A learning management system is basically a software application that allows users to create, launch and track training or learning of any type.
LMS’s became very popular in education, and they continue to grow in both K-12 and secondary education programs, but they’ve also become one of the preferred ways many companies are training employees.
When asking what is LMS in terms of the corporate world you can look at the primary functions—internal and external training. Companies of any size may use an LMS to train internally, which means providing training and development for employees, or they may be using an LMS to train customers, consultants, resellers or anyone externally associated with the organization.
Learning management systems are continuing to grow in their usage and popularity, which has led to a number of leaps in the available technology, in order to keep up with demand.
Many LMS options are web-based, which means they are hosted in the cloud, and corporate users tend to find this incredibly helpful because there’s no worry about installing updates, hardware or software.
When an LMS is hosted it also means pricing, such as with eLeaP, is based on a subscription fee and this often means it’s much less expensive than most traditional training options.
Features of an Online LMS
After the initial “what is LMS” question we often hear “what are the features of an LMS.”
While every provider and product is going to be unique, with an eLeaP LMS you’ll have access to the following features:
- We provide you with fast and easy tools to develop learning and training content. Even if you’re not experienced with course development we make it a simple process, and you can also upload any type of file including SCORM, PowerPoint, YouTube and more.
- Since eLeaP is a web-based LMS your employee training is available to anyone at any time. That means your employees, partners and customers can access training through the on-demand e-Learning system.
- Brand your LMS using features like your logo and color scheme so you can always present unified content to your users.
- If you’re interested in selling your online training that’s simple as well with our eCommerce options. You can easily turn them from internal training into products that are for sale just by uploading, setting your price and launching. You can even add discount coupons or affiliate marketing options.
- Tracking your training with an eLeaP LMS is easy as well, because everything is automated. You can check everything from course completion to assessment results and then integrate reporting with Exel, PDF or HRIS.
These are just a few of the many features available with an eLeaP LMS.
It’s our goal to not only answer “what is LMS,” but also to show you how using a learning management system from eLeaP can change the way you do training and the way your customers, partners and employees view training.